The Associate Zone Medical Director (AZMD) – Community, Rural and Continuing Care is a key leadership position within Alberta Health Services- Calgary Zone. The AZMD provides support and assistance to the Zone Medical Director, Calgary in the execution of his/her duties and in accordance with the AHS Medical Staff Bylaws. The AZMD has a focus on Community, Rural and Continuing Care within Medical Affairs while actively engaged in the overall administration of Calgary Zone Medical Affairs, providing input, direction, support and feedback to Calgary Zone Medical leaders.
The Associate Zone Medical Director is a dyad leadership model with the Senior Operating Officer (SOO) for Community, Rural & Continuing Care for the Calgary Zone. The Associate Zone Medical Director and SOO jointly establish the plan for the effective and efficient implementation, operationalization, management, and monitoring of provincially integrated clinical care initiatives and services; as well as quality improvement and measurement programs.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide medical support and leadership for the Clinical Departments of Family Medicine, Rural Medicine and to Continuing Care and other programs as assigned. The Associate Zone Medical Director will work collaboratively with the Medical and Administrative leads on issues related to:
- Recruitment, retention, development and support of medical staff and medical leaders
- Resource allocation for the departments including development of and management of budgets for the department that are consistent with the health care priorities as established by AHS.
- Periodic reviews and Annual renewals
- Final review and approval of Physician Contracts and Impact Statements
- Within the dyad leadership model the incumbent is the Medical Leader who, along with the portfolio Senior Operating Officer, is responsible for managing and leading clinical operations that reach/cross all departments such as safety, quality, program planning, equipment and capital planning, and patient flow and capacity.
- Responsible for advancing Quality and Safety (quadruple aim) initiatives within the portfolio.
- Liaise with and support the respective Zone Clinical Department Heads and, where appropriate, the Zone Clinical Department Site/Section Chiefs. The Associate Zone Medical Director will work to ensure appropriate medical input from section, department and program leads with regards to operational decisions.
- Establish a system to recognize and investigate complaints made against or disputes between Department Members as described in the Medical Staff Bylaws and/or in accordance with applicable AHS and Departmental policies for review and disposition for the Zone Medical Director.
- Strategic planning and problem solving of health services delivery issues with operational leads, Site Chiefs, Section Chiefs and Zone Clinical Department Heads
- As required, assist in representing the Zone at appropriate AHS Provincial Committees and venues.
- In the absence of the ZMD, to act as the Zone Medical Director and fulfil the ZMD roles and responsibilities.
The Associate Zone Medical Director – Community, Rural and Continuing Care reports directly to the Zone Medical Director, Calgary Zone.
- Zone Medical Director, Calgary Zone
- Senior Operating Officer, Community, Rural and Continuing Care
- Calgary Zone Senior Leadership Team members
- Zone Clinical Department Heads and Site/Section Chiefs of Family Medicine, Rural Medicine and other departments as assigned.
- AHS Human Relations and Legal Services
- External partners including Primary Care Networks, University of Calgary, community organizations and agencies