This key medical leadership position will report to the Chief Medical Laboratory Officer (CMLO) of APL and work closely with the North and South Sector Medical Directors and the Molecular Pathology medical leads in Edmonton and Calgary to set strategic direction for molecular pathology testing in the province of Alberta. A Clinical Faculty appointment with one of the Alberta departments of medicine (University of Alberta or University of Calgary) will be offered. The successful candidate will be expected to maintain clinical responsibilities in their area of expertise (.5 FTE) in addition to the leadership role. The successful candidate may be located in either Edmonton or Calgary.
Key Responsibilities include:
· Set the strategic direction for the program in conjunction with senior Alberta Public Laboratories leadership in the context of ongoing health initiatives in the province of Alberta.
· Participate in and/or lead structures and processes with APL operational dyad partners to enable and support a sustained climate of continuous improvement, innovation, quality and safety.
· Collaborate with medical and administrative leadership on the delivery of services within the broader mandate of laboratory operations in Alberta.
· Foster progressive and collegial relationships within and beyond Molecular Pathology amongst all levels of staffing and beyond laboratory services to clinical services and academic institutions in Alberta.
· Develop, promote and lead the implementation of new technologies and encourage innovation, research and leadership within the service.
· Create provincial structure which supports transformation, quality and safety, utilization management, test adoption training, research and other initiatives which are part of the strategic direction.
· Initiate, implement and support the development of new or modified approaches, practices and processes to address patient/stakeholder requirements.
· Build strong relationships with academic leaders, Strategic Clinical Networks (SCNs), and peer laboratory service organizations, and others.