The Adult Psychosis Program (APP) is a tertiary care, sub-specialty & multi-disciplinary program based out of Outpatient Mental Health Services (Unit 24) at the Foothills Medical Centre. APP is dedicated to providing specialized assessments and time-limited follow-up care to individuals with either a severe & chronic psychotic disorder, or those over the age of 35 with a first episode psychosis, who require case management and multi-disciplinary services to achieve stabilization of their illness and in achieving functional recovery goals.
Goals of APP:
1. Provide patients with chronic psychotic disorders, or those over the age of 35 with a new onset psychotic disorder, rapid access to specialized evidence based and multi-disciplinary care.
2. Provide diagnostic clarification and evidence-based management to prevent relapse and optimize functioning.
3. Establish ongoing psychiatric stability to enable patients to be transferred to a primary care provider or community based psychiatric clinic.
4. Treat medical and psychiatric co-morbidities.
5. Support ethical and approved research.
6. Provide and support subspecialty training for health professionals
· Expert knowledge of psychosis to discuss with families and provide psychoeducation
· Ability to manage psychotropic medications, including injectable medications
· Expertise with Clozapine and long acting medications
· Expert Knowledge and comfort with utilization of CTOs
· Knowledge and ability in the application of CBT, DBT, MI, Trauma and CBSST models of therapy
· Experience working with families
· Knowledge of concurrent disorders and management of same in clinical setting
· Clear understanding of recovery orientated practice
Management of metabolic syndrome, TD and other side effects of psychotropics
• Attend clinic weekly and work with Case manager to help patient achieve stability and functional goals
• Complete regular new assessments & provide timely reports including annual assessments
• Attend bi-monthly case management meetings
• Be available on site throughout the week to respond to case manager
• Support colleagues in providing cross coverage for vacations