The Stollery - Child and Adolescent Psychiatry program is in critical need of coverage until January 2020. The Coverage Provider for the Stollery Emergency Department Child and Adolescent Psychiatry service will provide support to patients with mental health presentations under the care of Casualty Officers in the Stollery ED, in collaboration with the Psychiatrist on call.
The hours of On-Site coverage are:
- Monday through Sunday: 0800-1700
- Monday through Sunday: 1700-0100
Opportunity to work more hours negotiable.
The Coverage Provider for the Stollery Child and Adolescent Psychiatry program will be expected to provide the following services:
1. Upon arrival for the shift, the Coverage Provider shall:
a. check in with the psychiatric unit, the switchboard, the Psychiatrist on call
b. be available for hand-off of patients from the outgoing physician in person or over the phone for communication of significant changes/interventions involving the patients on the unit or if new patients have been admitted to the unit over the course of the shift
c. go to the Emergency Department and check in with the Charge Nurse
2. For patients in the Emergency Department the provider shall:
a. perform consultations at the request of the Casualty Officer or Psychiatrist on call
b. in consultation with the Psychiatrist on call, implement treatment plans involving either admission to the facility or stabilization and discharge back to the community. The decision to admit must be made in consultation with the Psychiatrist on call.
c. order observation levels in keeping with AHS policy and guidelines
d. communicate by phone with the Psychiatrist on call including, but not limited to, advice, information, and decision to hold overnight.
3. Consult the designated attending physician as required and as appropriate to the needs of the patient during the delivery of the services. Contact of the attending physician should always occur in the event of the following but is not limited to these events: a major change in the patient’s condition; prior to urgent consultations or if any concern arises about the management of a problem.
4. Completion of appropriate documentation in accordance with Alberta Health Services policies and guidelines;
5. Respond in person to changes in patient condition or urgent medical needs as quickly as possible. Telephone response will be reserved for situations in which direct patient assessment is not required
6. Report to the Site Chief, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry or designate and participate in performance reviews, which will be conducted by the Department of Addictions & Mental Health.
7. The date of each shift will be mutually agreed to in advance by the Physician and AHS. The length and time of shifts may be varied by mutual agreement between the Physician and AHS.
8. The Physician agrees to be available to provide Services in a timely manner for the entire duration of a scheduled shift unless alternative arrangements for the provision of services are made with another Clinical Associate or resident considered of equal qualifications and mutually agreed to by AHS for a defined period of absence during the scheduled shift. In the event the Physician does not provide services for the entire duration of a scheduled shift, the Physician shall:
a) confirm arrangements with a Clinical Associate or resident considered of equal qualifications and mutually agreed to by AHS to provide coverage for the services during his/her absence from the scheduled shift;
b) notify the switchboard with contact information for the physician providing service coverage during his/her absence from the scheduled shift; and
c) notify the Acute Care Coverage office of scheduled shift changes with the details of the arrangements
9. In the event the Physician wishes to cancel a confirmed shift, the Physician agrees to provide AHS written notification of shift cancellation at least 10 working days prior to the date on which a shift has been scheduled and confirmed, except in unforeseen circumstances including, but not limited to illness and family emergency. Failure of the Physician to provide notification of shift cancellation to AHS in the timelines previously described may result in the potential to lose a confirmed shift previously agreed to by AHS.