AHS has announced a provincial program charged with responsibility to design and deliver accessible, high value care for women with breast cancer. Experienced senior clinical lead for Northern Alberta is needed to help support the development and implementation of this program. The clinical lead will guide the ongoing development of the Provincial Breast Health Initiative (PBHI), building on prior work and they will also play key roles in creating a model for the ongoing / future operation of the PBHI.
The North Project Medical Lead will work closely with the Provincial Project Medical Lead in the planning and implementation of the PBHI. Of particular importance will be their role to liaise with physician providers, quality management and implementation of breast health pathways that are currently under development. The North lead will sit on the PBHI Steering Committee, which guides the development of the Breast Health Initiative service delivery plan, physician manpower requirements, and quality management initiatives for the North Sector and the province at large.
The North Project Medical Lead will be accountable to the Senior Medical Director, Cancer SCN and Senior Medical Director, CancerControl Alberta with a commitment of 0.2 FTE, and will report to the Provincial Project Medical Lead of the PBHI.
In addition to the Provincial Project Medical Lead, the North Lead will be expected to work closely with:
- The Cancer Strategic Clinical Network Senior Medical Director or relevant representatives
- The Surgery Strategic Clinical Network Senior Medical Director or relevant representatives
- Clinical leader for their respective North regional areas
- Clinical leaders from breast programs in other areas of the province
In collaboration with the PBHI Steering Committee, the North Project Medical Lead will provide clinical leadership in the following areas:
Strategic Advice: Advise and consult on strategic and medical matters relating to the PBHI. This will include:
- supporting the development of the provincial breast health, end to end pathway work to provide comprehensive, high value care for women with breast cancer across the province
- shared accountability for the ongoing development and implementation of PBHI end to end pathway, including advising operational leads on implementation of the breast reconstruction business plan of October 2016 in the North and South Sectors
- reviewing implementation, communication and change management issues with operational leads and making recommendations regarding necessary revision to the plan
- providing advice on medical/clinical matters
Provincial Breast Health Initiative Physician Resource Planning: To help guide the development of future physician resource plans for the PBHI and assist with identification of the impact on other physicians/groups within the North Sector.
Quality, Measurement, Audit and Feedback System(s): Ensure that standards of care, as defined by the care pathway, are being achieved by the PBHI and that appropriate metrics to define important clinical, functional, satisfaction and cost outcomes are identified and implemented. The PBHI sector leads will also be responsible for:
- supporting the development and implementation of clinical practice guidelines and protocols in collaboration with GURU and the provincial breast tumour team
- assisting each discipline’s QA team in establishing clinical quality metrics with feasible and practical methods of measurement
- strongly advocating for sound medical/clinical practice
- providing guidance and advice on how to design and implement a comprehensive outcomes measurement system
- supporting regional leads to improve quality and patient safety for the PBHI
Position Specific Tasks
The North Project Medical Lead for the PBHI, in addition to the accountabilities outlined above, will perform the following tasks:
- Membership on the PBHI Steering Committee
- Meet regularly with the PBHI Provincial Project Medical Lead
- Communicate regularly with the Zone Clinical and Operational Leads for Breast Surgery, and Cancer and Surgery SCNs / representatives
- Membership on the provincial breast tumour team executive
Position Specific Resources
The North lead will be supported by the PBHI team that includes project managers and clinical coordinators. In addition, quality improvement, measurement and analytic resources will be made available.