Connect Care (CC) Physician Builders (PB) are practitioner-users of the AHS Provincial CIS (CIS) who are recruited, trained, retained and supported to work with peers to facilitate CC CIS customizations, adaptations and optimizations.
PBs promote clinical improvement through deep involvement in CIS-related projects. They train for Epic Builder Certification and build organizational capacity for CIS customization, optimization, content development, testing and analytics. PBs bridge clinical and technical domains by improving characterization of user needs while easing pathways to solutions. In short, PBs help organize CC physician users, improve communication between the IT team and users, generate CIS content and promote meaningful use of Connect Care assets.
Accountability for the PB program rests with the CMIO portfolio, in collaboration with the CIS Program Office. Depending upon clinical area affiliation, the CMIO may delegate direct PB supervision to provincial design leads or zone Associate CMIOs. Depending upon funding arrangements, there may be additional accountabilities to AHS, University or other stakeholder leadership. Responsibilities include:
- Obtain Epic ‘physician builder’ certification to understand key system capabilities and limitations.
- Requires two trips to Madison, WI to complete Epic CLN150 Physician Build Basic course (3 days) and the Epic CLN160 Physician Build Advanced course (3 days).
- Become an active member of the CMIO team, working directly with Connect Care project teams to build clinical content, inquiry supports and/or other customizations for CC, activities may include:
- Participate in project improvements as a content builder and subject matter expert;
- Participate in resource estimations and prioritizations for enhancements requested of the CIS team or inquiry supports requested;
- Validate clinical inquiry/decision support builds;
- Inform the development of physician-facing clinical inquiry support guidance and documentation;
- Support ongoing content development post implementation and optimization.
- Work with colleagues across the province/zone to identify key requirements and opportunities for strategic improvement to the CIS.
- Participate, as appropriate, in Connect Care Communities of Practice (user groups), governance committees, clinical councils, advisory groups, and working groups.
- Provide support in reviewing Epic System Updates pertinent to specialty and make recommendations related to acceptance.
- Support and mentor others PBs and participate in a PB community of practice.
This 0.2-0.4 FTE position is an exciting new medical leadership opportunity within Connect Care. The role has responsibility to, and endorsement from, their Zone Medical Director, and Zone Associate Chief Medical Information Officer.