Reporting to the Provincial Facilities Medical Director for Correctional Healthcare Services, the AHS Healthcare Services Medical Lead (referred to in the remainder of this document as the “Medical Lead”) will be responsible for overseeing the provision of clinical care in Alberta’s Provincial Correctional Facilities, with a focus on the northern provincial facilities (Edmonton Remand Centre, Fort Saskatchewan Correctional Center, Edmonton Young Offenders Centre, the Peace River Correctional Centre and the Red Deer Remand Center). The Medical Lead will also provide 4 to 10 hours of direct clinical care to patients incarcerated in one or more of the northern Provincial Correctional Facilities.
Working in close collaboration with the Provincial Facilities Medical Director for Correctional Healthcare Services, the Medical Lead will provide advice on strategy, policy and operational planning to deliver well-coordinated and efficient service delivery for AHS Correctional Health Services. A key role of this position will be to lead and coordinate the provision of clinical care in the correctional facilities, with a primary focus on the northern correctional centres.
The AHS Correctional Healthcare Services Medical Lead will:
- Work with the clinical and administrative leadership team and be responsible for ensuring that standards of care and defined health outcomes are being achieved within the Correctional Facilities.
- Provide leadership and guidance to ongoing quality assurance and improvement activities.
- Consult, advise and assist in the development and implementation of provincial correctional healthcare policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Collaborate and support Zone Patient Safety Leaders with respect to Quality Assurance Reviews and lead the implementation of any necessary improvements arising from these within their sector.
- Work collaboratively with the Provincial Facilities Medical Director and the Zone Medical Directors to undertake performance reviews of AHS correctional medical staff, in accordance with the AHS Medical Staff Bylaws, including liaison with Zone Clinical Department Heads for the purpose of periodic review.
- Manage and address performance issues of medical staff within their sector in accordance with AHS Medical Staff Bylaws.
- Contribute to and advise on the development and implementation of practitioner recruitment strategies.
- Participate in and support accreditation activities in preparation for Accreditation Canada assessment and surveys.
- Ensure effective support for teaching and research at each facility within their sector.
- Participate in select committees and special projects pertaining to Correctional Health Services.
Undertake relevant Continuing Medical Education (CME) related to Correctional Health Services as appropriate.