The Medical Lead, Provincial Indigenous Health, is a key leadership position in Alberta Health Services (AHS). The Medical Lead and the Senior Program Officer of Population Health and Indigenous Health and the Executive Director of Indigenous Health work in a respectful, inclusive, and collaborative relationship – one that is committed to the provision of accessible and quality patient-focused health services in a sustainable manner.
The Medical Lead, Provincial Indigenous Health in conjunction with the Executive Director of Indigenous Health, is responsible for the overall leadership and direction of the Indigenous Health Program. This position will develop and maintain strong working relationships with physicians, key stakeholders, and leadership executives, in order to assist in the oversight of Provincial Indigenous Program, and in the provision of strategic leadership to all related programs in the province.
The Medical Lead, Provincial Indigenous Health, also shares responsibility with the Executive Director of Indigenous Health for:
· Leading the developmental process, including priority-setting and action planning for key priorities relating to Indigenous Health and outcome improvements provincially
· Working as a partner with Zone Medical Officers of Health in developing alignment between strategic priorities and Zone leadership
· Developing and maintaining a close working relationship with the Executive Director of the Indigenous Health Program to achieve alignment and synergy between the respective strategic priorities and activities of the SCN and IHP
· Providing leadership to physicians working in Indigenous communities and with Indigenous populations.
· Providing clinical guidance and evaluating outcomes delivered including system improvements
The Medical Director for Provincial Indigenous Health, reports directly to the Senior Medical Officer of Health and Senior Medical Director of Population, Public and Indigenous Health