The Senior Medical Director, Infection Prevention & Control is a key leadership position in Alberta Health Services (AHS). The Senior Medical Director and the Senior Program Officer, Infection Prevention & Control work as complementary partners in a respectful, inclusive, and collaborative relationship - one that is committed to the provision of accessible and quality patient-focused health services in a sustainable manner.
The Senior Medical Director, Infection Prevention & Control will develop and maintain strong working relationships with physicians and other key stakeholders, as well as leadership executives, in order to assist in the oversight of Infection Prevention & Control services and care providers, and in the provision of strategic leadership to all related programs in the province.
The Senior Medical Director, Infection Prevention & Control also shares responsibility with the Senior Program Officer, Infection Prevention & Control for:
· the delivery of infection prevention and control quality and safety initiatives in Acute Care, Ambulatory Care, Continuing Care and other sites and services in Alberta
· setting objectives for the implementation, operationalization, management and monitoring of provincially integrated infection prevention and control and quality measurement systems, ensuring the delivery and surveillance in the most effective, leading manner
· physician leadership in the development, enhancement and implementation of practices, policies and procedures that improve infection prevention and control within healthcare services
· building relationships with the secondary and tertiary hospitals of Alberta Catholic Health Corporation (Covenant Health) - particularly with its physicians - thereby integrating provincial infection prevention and control
· setting and managing the overall operating and capital budgets for the portfolio - including resources related to physician practice and activities - consistent with Infection Prevention & Control plans and the general guidelines established by Alberta Health Services
· supporting relationships with Alberta's medical and health science post-secondary institutions
The Senior Medical Director, Infection Prevention & Control reports directly to the Vice President Medical Director Northern Alberta; particularly with respect to personal performance assessment and physician-related matters.